Property boundaries in the UK or anywhere else in the world are an intricate issue that requires professional handling. In Essex specifically, the best approach is to use a party wall surveyor Essex to navigate through the process.
They typically come in to handle matters touching the party wall such as when renovating a semi-detached house or building a new home that requires excavation near the party wall.
When building a new structure or renovating and converting old restores where party wall is involved, it is best to follow the right procedure, including serving party wall notices to your neighbors to avoid various challenges.
This article will tell you why you need the help of party wall surveyors Essex to take you through this.
Understanding the Party Wall Act (1996)
First, it is good to understand the legal framework of the 1996 Party Wall Act, which regulates all matters related to the Party Wall. It was designed to maintain good neighborly relations during construction and modification projects that touch boundary walls.
In Essex, for example, community values are invaluable, and this is reflected in the Party Wall Act regulations. As such, there are many party wall surveyors in Essex who help project managers and owners to navigate through this process.
Building Works that Need Party Wall Surveyors Essex
The 1996 Party Wall Act has various guidelines that touch on various construction projects. They all have one thing in common: the party wall.
Party wall surveyors in Essex such as the Humphreysandsons Architectural Company can help you understand whether your project requires such interventions.
You can also check if the project is within these examples of projects that touch the party wall.
- New walls on party wall lines – When a constructor or the project owner needs to erect new walls along the party line, then there is a need to consult the party wall surveyors in Essex. They navigate the legalities involved and offer advice on top of applying for the necessary licenses.
- Loft conversion in semi-detached buildings – Semi-detached houses pose a new challenge during loft conversions. However, professional surveyors can help you navigate the intricate process of doing loft conversion for semi-detached houses or properties that touch boundary lines.
- Building extensions near the party wall – If you are planning to extend your house to the extent of touching the party wall, then halt and consult the party wall Surveyors Essex. It is a sensitive matter that requires you to serve the affected neighbors with a party wall notice, apply for the right permits, and most importantly, follow the Party Wall Act regulations.
- Basement extension near party wall – Digging deep or excavating near the boundary line may put the integrity of the adjacent structures into jeopardy. However, Party Wall Surveyors Essex can help your constructor through the process while assuring the neighbors that all regulations are being followed.
- Chimney removal and extension along the party wall – If you are planning to remove a chimney along the party wall line, then you need to follow the party wall regulations. It can adversely affect the other party of the semi-detached house unless extreme care is taken. So, let the experts consult the process to avoid a lawsuit.
Roles of Party Wall Surveyors Essex
Party wall surveyors in Essex play a vital role in creating a harmonious community in the region. They have many specific roles that you should know before getting yourself one for the projects we’ve mentioned above.
- Serve party wall notice to affected parties – When there is a project that involves party wall matters, the party wall Surveyors Essex will serve the affected people with a party wall notice following the law. It may involve giving an interpretation of the law and also assuring the parties that the project will follow all procedures. This not only creates harmony but also avoids unnecessary lawsuits and compensations.
- Discuss and help resolve party wall issues – Party wall issues are inevitable in some scenarios. Whether you are dealing with a sensitive neighbor or you are the one in the wrong, Party Wall Surveyors Essex will take up the issue and resolve it professionally. As mentioned, they also help in compensation matters, especially if it is legally deserved.
- Fulfill party wall obligations and apply for permits – All constructions or renovations affecting boundary lines require permits. The surveyors will do all of the paperwork and follow-ups to ensure that relevant permits are acquired on time to avoid delays in the project.
- Advise the clients and constructors on party wall matters – When doing a construction project affecting the party wall, both the client and constructors might be misinformed on many things. However, the party wall surveyors in Essex are well-versed in the sector and usually offer all the consultancy advice to all parties as needed.
- Keep records for reference – Lastly, it is the role of the surveyors to keep all the needed records for reference. Well, they can serve the client with copies, but they keep the records because they need them on various occasions until the project is over.
Hiring Party Wall Surveyors Essex
Now that you know how important party wall surveyors in Essex are when doing a construction project touching the boundary wall, it is time to hire one.
The most important consideration is to hire a licensed company, preferably an architectural company, who will take you through this process and offer all other related services.
Apart from the services offered by the party wall surveyors Essex, consider the cost of their services.
Many of them are affordable, especially when you consider a package with other services such as architectural drawings and planning, construction permission application, and supervision of work. Just make smart decisions when hiring these professionals for your project.
With this in mind, it is clear that party wall surveyors in Essex are inevitable when you have projects like the ones we’ve discussed in this article.
Your work could be a lot easier if you hire a professional with experience and a good reputation. With the above insights, you can rest assured that the process of hiring party wall surveyors and working with them will be easy.