Owning a home is a remarkable experience but it requires proper maintenance. One of the significant hazards is maintaining your home is prolonging the life of your property.
Understanding the difference between restoration, renovation, and the remodeling will help you choose the right project for your house if you own a house.
These terms ring no bells for a layman, but they have different meanings for a construction expert. Speak to an expert from Beaver Building & Remodeling to help you out in such situations.
Renovation means restoring the building to a better condition. It requires complete or partial replacement of components to produce an improved look.
Renovation is mostly undertaken to increase the value of a property and comes with a lower budget.
It doesn’t alter the foundations of the property. A renovation process includes the following stages:
1. Design & Planning
Hire a reputed contractor like Beaver Building & Remodeling to do a complete examination of your property.
A design team will sit with you and sketch the planned renovation. You can also identify the requirements yourself and hire a professional to execute the task.
He will also help to obtain the necessary permits.
The next stages include repairing the structures that are damaged or broken. For example, you can improve light, plumbing fixtures, seal the cracks, and update an old ceiling.
It is the final stage for a renovation project. You will need to replace the hardware like an appliance and electrical systems.
Remodeling involves the complete overhaul of the entire architecture of your property. It might affect the change of space and be costlier than renovation.
You must ensure to hire experts like Beaver Building & Remodeling to perform this task. You need to consider your budget, building codes, and other factors before starting the job.
Let’s look at a few steps to remodel a commercial or residential building:
1. Check the Certificates
It’s vital to check the occupancy certificates of buildings and have them approved by the local authority. It’s tough to change the registration process for commercial properties, so talk to a legal expert.
2. Review the Electrical Systems
You should check the electrical, plumbing, and other essential structures before planning a remodel.
Always give safety the main priority while renovating any building. Also, ensure that the existing system can support it and prepare a budget beforehand.
3. Check the Envelope
Envelopes separate your inner and outside building structures. When you are remodeling a commercial property, ensure that it has wheelchair accessibility and install ramps if required.
Historical values of buildings might impact a remodel project. Check with local authorities and hire an expert contractor like Beaver Building & Remodeling for an honest review.
Restoration is usually undertaken for historical buildings or heritage properties. Restoration aims to achieve the highest level of replication and use modern options to upgrade security features.
It can involve installing an alarm system, surveillance cameras, and monitoring devices. General criteria for restoration include:
- Implications on maintenance
- Determining the original structure of the property
- Ensuring the intactness of the heritage structure
- Allowing flexible changes to support the structure
Restoration might involve paper works and care for heritage properties.
What Does Restoration Include?
Restoration involves different aspects like:
- Inspecting the flooring to determine the extent of the damage. It is followed by complete cleaning by hiring an expert to recreate the damaged parts
- Windows and doors need proper inspection and subsequent repair of the handles, hinges and locks, and other broken parts
- Replace the damaged light and fixtures by hiring experts like Beaver Building & Remodeling and identify possible faults.
Key Differences Between the Three
Some key differences are worthwhile to note:
- The renovation improves the look of the property without changing the layout
- Remodeling, on the other hand, alters the designs and sometimes the structure
- Renovation is more DIY, while remodeling uses experienced contractors to achieve the result
- You don’t require a permit for renovation, but it’s necessary for remodeling
- Remodeling is costlier than renovation and depends on several factors like labor, age of building, permits, and quality of materials
If you are planning a remodeling or restoration, ensure to hire the best contractor for the job. You can connect with respected agencies like Beaver Building & Remodeling to get the most value out of your project.