Every year hurricanes impact the United States. They cause financial devastation in Florida and along the Eastern and Gulf Coasts. A total of 12 hurricanes were recorded in 2020, a record number.
Last year’s damage estimate was between $60-65 billion. “AccuWeather’s estimate includes all losses and financial impact to the economy, which are greater than insured losses,” said AccuWeather CEO Joel Myers.
Not all damage is countable in monetary value. The loss of life feels astronomical and has devastated many families.
What Causes the Most Damage to a Home from Hurricanes?
Open windows or doors cause the most damage to homes from Hurricanes. The interior is often damaged by wind, debris, and rain. That is only the beginning.
Leaving windows open or when windows get broken could destroy your whole house. Upward pressure is created on the house’s roof when wind enters through windows or doors. This blows the roof off of the house, then walls can and do collapse.
Poor quality or unprotected windows are the primary cause of homes being destroyed during a hurricane.
How do Hurricane-Resistant Windows Work?
Impact-resistant glass has a layer of special membrane inserted between the panes. Should the glass break, it will do so in a web pattern and remain attached to the inner membrane.
There are several hurricane and storm windows on the market. They vary in the material used to make the membrane. The inner membrane comes in a variety of thicknesses.
Liquid glass resins applied to the glass panes, strengthen some hurricane-resistant windows. These windows are popular in areas that have constant sun.
The real advantage of hurricane-resistant windows is structural. Pressure changes suddenly when windows or doors are blown out, causing structural damage. Roofs can be blown off, and walls can collapse due to these pressure changes.
Considering the Cost
The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) adopted new guidelines for windows. The 2002 requirements for windows directly affect Florida and other at-risk areas.
New homes were required to have either shutters or hurricane-resistant windows. This was to prevent a total collapse of the building.
They required hurricane-resistant windows to help houses survive 200 mph winds. Homeowners should buy windows that meet the building code standards in their area.
Hurricane damages affected the economy.
Not only locally, the state of Florida, and the nation.
Special hurricane-resistant windows increase your construction cost. The benefits of storm windows outweigh the cost.
- The protection provided during storm season far outweighs the cost.
- Prevent costly storm damage and subsequent repairs.
- Allows you to qualify for discounted homeowner’s insurance.
- Banks are inclined to lend more money to homes with high-quality storm prevention.
- Energy-efficient windows lower your power costs.
- Safe from intruders – hurricane-resistant windows don’t break, when intruders attempt to get in. If the glass does break, the membrane keeps them from gaining entry.
- Noise reduction
Buying Florida Replacement Windows – Things to Consider
There are a variety of non-breaking hurricane-resistant windows available. Some are more expensive than others. Find professionals who install a variety of premium energy-efficient hurricane impact windows.
- EXPERIENCED – Window installers who know the area. And understand the best hurricane-resistant windows for your home. Who installed a variety of premium energy-efficient hurricane impact windows.
- HIGH QUALITY – Professionals with a reputation for quality installations. And warranty their workmanship.
- RELIABLE – A company that understands its product and how to get the best quality windows. Who install storm-resistant windows with solid warranties.
- AFFORDABLE – A company that can help you find lenders who provide 100% financing.
- TOP-RATED WINDOW REPLACEMENT COMPANY – A company with thousands of satisfied customers. Premium products, industry-leading warranties, and financing.
Install Florida replacement windows that protect your home during a hurricane.
How Long do Hurricane Windows Last? Hurricane-resistant windows are warrantied by the manufacturer. These warranties vary from one brand to another. Some have lifetime guarantees.
Reviewing the benefits of installing hurricane-resistant storm windows gives you peace of mind. They protect your home from the roof and structural damage of a hurricane.
Not only do they protect during a hurricane. They protect the home from lesser storms with gusting winds that pick up debris and toss it around.
No matter where you live, hurricane-resistant storm windows are beneficial for your home. They reduce the power consumption of your home.
Thus, reducing the power and heating bills. They protect your home from accidents and debris from severe weather events. And they prevent intruders from getting in.
Your family’s safety is vital, and strong, durable windows will help.