Carpets withstand abuse from shoes, spills, and pets. Hence, frequent vacuuming and deeper cleaning are required to extend the lifespan of any carpet. Being super absorbents, carpets soak up smell, smoke, dust, and allergens.
Carpets tend to look dull, retain order, and eventually wear out if you allow the dust and soil particles to stay on carpet fibers. Here’s what you need about the cleaning carpet the right way.
Doing a Routine Carpet Cleaning
Be it wall-to-wall carpeting or area rugs, vacuum it at least once or twice a week to get rid of dust. Use a vacuum cleaner with strong suction for routine cleaning.
- Vacuum the Right Way – Set the vacuum with the strongest suction to a proper height. Vacuum slowly to get the best results and do not forget to go over high-traffic areas several times.
- Lint Roller – Use a lint roller to get rid of crumbs and lint quickly. Also, utilize the rubber-edged squeegee to remove pet hair.
- Brighten the Carpet – Sprinkle baking soda and let it sit for an hour or so to absorb stains and odor.
Spot-Clean the Carpet
If the carpet has been stained, treat it as quickly as possible. For liquid spills, use a damp paper towel or a cloth to blot at it and take out the stain. Avoid using colored cloth as it may transfer the color to the carpet.
Remove solid mud stains with the edge of a credit card or a dull knife. Do not rub solid stains with the water as it will push the stain deeper into the fiber.
Moreover, spot-cleaning can be done with club soda, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, dish soap, salt solution, and water.
Right Way to Deep Clean the Carpet
The easy option is to hire home carpet cleaners or professional services for deep cleaning. It requires simple cleaning products and tools to deep clean a carpet.
- Vacuum and Treat Stains – Begin the deep cleaning process by treating stains followed by vacuuming to get rid of loose soil, dust, dirt, and debris. Vacuuming is a vital deep cleaning stage, if skipped, the dirt may drive deeper into the fiber.
- Use a Cleaning Solution – Add part of distilled white vinegar and three parts of cold water to the spray bottle and spray it on the carpet. The bottle may need to be refilled several times for large, wall-to-wall carpets like every time I hire from carpet cleaning Sioux falls.
- Apply the Solution – Apply the vinegar solution onto the carpet and let it sit on the carpet for five minutes to break down the soil. Use a microfiber cloth to blot away the solution, rinse the cleaning cloth with clean water, and use it again.
- Air-Dry – Speed up the drying process by opening doors and windows to increase air circulation. Do not use it until it is fully dried or place plastic sheeting or tarps to prevent staining.
Protect your carpet and keep it well-maintained and clean to expand its lifespan. Vacuum multiple times a week to remove trapped dirt and treat stains immediately.