Looking after the plumbing system is the responsibility of the residents to avoid problems that can become quite menacing if not attended on time.
It means that you must use the system with proper consideration to avoid its abuse which is the cause of problems in most cases. You must learn how to use the system properly so that unwanted materials do not go into the drains which are the most common cause for clogging.
What You Can Do to Ensure That the Plumbing System at Home Works Smoothly?
As you go through this article, it will become clear what measures you can take to ensure the smooth running of the plumbing system that would help to avoid calling a plumber Kelowna.
Garbage disposal needs some thought because you must ensure that no hard to grind materials like chicken skins and bones, banana peels, carrots, celery, and similar items go into the garbage bag as it can clog drains.
To ensure that the disposal you sent into the drain flushes out properly, flush the drain with cold water for approximately 15 seconds before disposing of the items and repeat it after disposal. Do not forget to turn on the disposal before adding food waste.
Equipment Usage Tips
It is important to know how to use household equipment like ice makers,dishwashers and washing machines so that it puts minimal stress on the plumbing system.
- For conserving water pressure and temperature, it is advisable to use washing machine and dishwashers at off-peak times or night.
- Check supply hoses regularly to detect any deformity or leakages early and ensure that all connections are tight.
- If you have an old washing machine, clean the lint trap and put a pantyhose at the outlet of the drain pipe of the dishwasher.
Take Care of the Drains
Most drain clogs happen due to deposition of cooking oils and fats in the pipes. Therefore, you must not send these dangerous items into the drains. Put strainers on the drain to prevent the entry of hair, debris, and soap into the drains which create blockages in the pipes.
Ensure Smooth Functioning of Drain Pipelines
- Snaking of floor drains that run slow would ensure clog removal and improve the flow of water through the pipes.
- Ensure that the sump pump is always in working condition by testing it at intervals. Pour water into the sump pit and run the pump to see that it drains water efficiently.
- Keep a watch at the base of the toilets to detect signs of water damage.
- Look for loose wall tiles in the bathroom by tapping on it because soft walls could be a sign of water leakage.
Facial scrub pads, hair, cotton balls and swabs, sanitary products, paper towels, wipes, and diapers are all very dangerous if it goes into the toilet and blocks it in no time. To check if the toilet is leaking, add food color to the toilet tank and is the color appears in the bowl within half an hour, it is a sign of toilet leakage.