Avoid common mistakes in hiding valuables with our guide to the worst places and smarter alternatives for home security.
Protecting Your Valuables: A Guide to Avoid Common Errors
The protection of your valuables must be a top priority in today’s world, especially given the increasing number of burglary cases reported each year. It could be your precious accessories, important documents, or emergency cash—regardless, it’s imperative to keep all of these belongings secure from potential threats.
In this era of advanced technology, there are a multitude of options available to bolster the security of your home. From CCTV cameras to smart locks and alarms, these modern tools offer added layers of protection against theft.
Yet, despite these advancements, your choice of hiding places for your possessions can have a major impact on their safety. It’s not enough to rely solely on technology for protection; you also need to be strategic about where you store your valuables.
Some underestimate the importance of this step, thinking it’s not worth the time and effort to find the ideal hiding spot. They default to obvious places, making their valuable items easy pickings for seasoned burglars.
“We’ll dispel common misunderstandings and offer professional advice to help you improve home security.”
To help you avoid common pitfalls, we’ve compiled a list of the worst spots for hiding your valuables. Let’s delve into them:
The Top Seven Worst Spots for Hiding Your Belongings
Before we begin, it’s important to remember that what might seem like a clever hiding place could be the first place a burglar checks. It’s about thinking one step ahead and choosing unexpected spots that won’t draw attention.
1. Under the Mattress – A Classic Yet Unwise Choice
Many people instinctively opt to store their valuables under the mattress, believing it to be a safe and convenient spot. However, this method is far from foolproof. In reality, it’s one of the first places a burglar will check. This seemingly ideal hiding place has become all too predictable, making it a prime target for thieves aiming for easy loot.
Remember: Burglars know where the low-hanging fruit is, and they’re not afraid to grab it.
Storing your valuables under the mattress leaves them vulnerable and easily accessible to anyone who decides to take a quick peek. Despite its popularity, this method of storage severely lacks in terms of security.
Luckily, there are more secure alternatives that you can consider:
- Invest in a Small Home Safe: A home safe provides an excellent balance between accessibility and security. To maximize its effectiveness, ensure it is securely anchored to the floor or wall to prevent burglars from simply taking the entire safe.
- Get Creative with Hollowed-Out Books: At first glance, a book seems innocuous on a shelf. However, when hollowed out, it can serve as an unexpected hiding spot for smaller items like jewellery or cash.
- Utilize Hidden Compartments within Furniture: Some furniture comes with built-in hidden compartments or can be customized to have one. These secret compartments provide an excellent way of hiding your valuables right in plain sight.
These alternatives provide a high level of security without sacrificing accessibility or ease of use. They allow for strategic and clever stashing of your precious items while keeping them away from prying eyes and sticky fingers.
Interesting Fact: The practice of hiding valuables under mattresses dates back centuries and was widely used during times of war or economic instability.
By taking these steps, you’ll ensure that your valuables are not just out of sight but also out of the grasp of potential thieves.
2. In the Freezer – Don’t Kid Yourself
The notion of tucking away your precious items in the freezer might initially strike you as an ingenious idea. After all, it’s not a place burglars would typically think to look, right? However, this hiding spot is far from being foolproof.
If you’re fond of crime movies, you’ve possibly seen this tactic being used on-screen multiple times. The harsh reality is that burglars are well-versed in this trick too. A quick peek inside the freezer can inadvertently lead them right to your hidden treasures.
A common practice amongst burglars involves scouring the refrigerator for prescription drugs, which they can later sell illegally. To counteract this, some homeowners have resorted to wrapping their valuables in foil or storing them in food packaging before placing them inside the fridge. Unfortunately, burglars have caught onto these hacks as well.
Interesting Fact: The use of freezers as storage for valuables is so popular that it has been referenced multiple times in pop culture!
But don’t lose heart just yet! We have some smarter suggestions at our disposal.
If you’re blessed with a spacious refrigerator, consider using it to store items that seamlessly blend in with your everyday food supply. For instance, a bag of frozen peas could serve as an excellent disguise for smaller items like jewellery or cash.
Remember though: the key to successfully hiding valuables in your fridge lies in ensuring they don’t stick out like a sore thumb amidst the rest of your refrigerator’s content. Your goal should be to make your valuables blend into their surroundings as much as possible.
- Avoid using common hiding spots like the freezer.
- Blend your valuable items with everyday fridge contents.
- Disguise small items within food packaging.
By following these steps, you’ll give yourself a better chance of keeping your valuables safe and out of reach from potential burglars.
3. Fake Plants and Decor – Often Fails
The idea of using fake plants or decorative items as potential hiding places for your valuables may initially seem clever. After all, these items integrate seamlessly into your home’s aesthetics and can easily go unnoticed by guests or casual observers.
However, this approach often falls flat when it comes to providing real security. Why? Because burglars have become increasingly savvy. They are trained to spot anomalies and unusual hiding spots in a home. Contrary to what you might believe, decorative items could draw their attention rather than deflect it.
It’s important to understand that burglars are not easily fooled. They’re well-versed in the common tricks homeowners use to hide their valuables.
So, if fake plants and decor aren’t reliable options, what should you do? We’ve got a solution that offers both discretion and ease of access.
Diversion Safes – A Superior Alternative
Instead of relying solely on decor for concealing your precious items, consider the use of diversion safes. These ingenious inventions are containers designed to mimic ordinary household items like soda cans, cleaning products, or even books.
“Diversion safes offer an excellent balance between privacy and accessibility.”
Here’s why diversion safes stand out:
- They blend in effortlessly with everyday objects.
- They are designed to be overlooked.
- They provide easy access to your valuables.
- They offer a higher level of security compared to common hiding spots.
By replacing your reliance on decor with strategically chosen diversion safes, you’ll give yourself a far better chance of keeping your valuables secure from potential burglars.
4. The Bedroom Drawer – A Common yet Unsafe Option
Many of us resort to bedroom drawers as a go-to place for storing our valuables. It’s convenient, easily accessible, and seemingly private. However, the very factors that make it appealing to us also make it a prime target for burglars.
“Drawers are one of the first places burglars check for cash and jewels.”
It’s not just about the loss of tangible assets. Storing important documents like passports, birth certificates, or other identity cards in an easily accessible drawer opens up the possibility of identity theft – a crime that has been on an alarming rise recently.
Therefore, despite its convenience and seeming privacy, drawers fall short in terms of security.
So what can be done?
For starters, consider rethinking your storage strategy. While you may not be able to eliminate the use of drawers for storage, there are ways to make them safer:
- Invest in a locked drawer or cabinet: These have built-in locks and can be a good option for storing valuable items or sensitive documents. They provide an additional layer of protection against unauthorized access.
- Explore furniture with hidden compartments: More discreet than a locked drawer, furniture with integrated hidden compartments can serve as excellent hiding spots for your valuables.
By considering these alternatives, you can achieve enhanced security while still maintaining easy accessibility to your belongings.
5. In a Jewellery Box – It’s Not Ideal
Jewellery boxes, with their delicate design and purpose-built structure, are primarily designed to hold your precious adornments. However, they can unintentionally serve as a beacon for burglaries. These boxes, with their explicit purpose of storing valuable items, make them an irresistible target for anyone looking to steal. Thus, leaving your priceless jewellery in a standard jewellery box is much like rolling out the red carpet for theft.
Why Jewellery Boxes Are Vulnerable
- Visibility: Jewellery boxes are usually placed in noticeable locations for easy access. This high visibility makes them an easy target.
- Lack of Security: Normal jewellery boxes lack complex security measures. They can be opened by anyone without the need for special tools or knowledge.
- Predictability: Burglars expect to find valuables in them. They’re one of the first places a thief will look.
Protecting Your Precious Items
To ensure the safety of your jewellery, it’s advisable to consider alternative methods of storage such as:
- Diversion Safes: These safeties are designed to look like everyday household items but are hidden storage spots for your valuables. In appearance, they may look like a book on your shelf or a soda can in your fridge but they are built to withstand tampering attempts.
- Home Safes: If you have a significant amount of valuable jewellery, investing in a secure home safe can be beneficial. You can use an experienced locksmith to install this safe, ensuring it meets industry security standards and is properly integrated into your home.
While a jewellery box may seem like the obvious place to store your precious adornments, it’s worth exploring safer and less obvious storage options to protect your valuables from potential theft.
6. In the Medicine Cabinet – A Risky Choice
Many people labour under the common misconception that medicine cabinets serve as an ideal, discreet place to stash valuables. The reality is quite the contrary – these spaces are, in fact, extremely vulnerable to theft.
Why Medicine Cabinets Are Not Safe
Burglars often make medicine cabinets their first port of call due to their typically small size and easy accessibility. These seemingly inconspicuous spots can become a treasure trove for thieves, and your valuable possessions could be gone in seconds.
This is why it’s crucial to remember: your medicine cabinet should only store medical items, nothing more.
Safer Alternatives for Storing Valuables
The good news is that there are safer options for safeguarding your cherished items. Consider looking into less obvious areas within your home that offer superior protection without sacrificing accessibility:
- Behind a Wall-Mounted Mirror: This can prove to be an effective hiding spot as it’s unlikely to be removed or tampered with during a burglary.
- Inside a Locked Cabinet: Unlike most other storage options, locked cabinets provide an added layer of security by requiring a key or combination to access.
Remember, when it comes to protecting your valuable possessions from potential theft, the key lies in being unpredictable and innovative with your storage choices.
“The most secure hiding places are those least expected by burglars.
This could include false bottoms in drawers, hollowed-out books, or even hidden compartments within furniture. By thinking outside the box and utilizing these unconventional hiding spots, you can significantly reduce the risk of your belongings falling into the wrong hands. Additionally, investing in a home security system can act as a deterrent for potential burglars and provide you with peace of mind. So, next time you think about stashing your valuables in a medicine cabinet, remember the importance of outsmarting thieves with creative storage solutions.
7. Inside a Sock Drawer – Not As Secure As You Think
Though it may seem like a convenient and discreet choice, hiding valuables inside a sock drawer is not as secure as you might think. This common practice has long been favoured as a go-to hiding spot for small items. Whether it’s cash, jewelry, or important documents, many people resort to the sock drawer believing it to be a safe place. Unfortunately, this is a misconception.
Why are sock drawers not ideal?
- Predictability: The fact that sock drawers are traditionally used as hiding spots makes them one of the first places burglars investigate. Thieves are aware of common practices and will likely target such obvious places.
- Ease of Access: Sock drawers can be quickly opened and sifted through without making much noise or mess, making them an easy target for intruders.
- Lack of Securing Features: Unlike safes or lockboxes, sock drawers do not come with any built-in securing features. There’s no lock or code required to access the contents, leaving your valuables vulnerable.
“The most secure hiding places are those least expected by burglars.“
As an alternative to the sock drawer, consider investing in well-secured digital safes. These safes are specifically designed to protect small items such as:
Not only do these safes provide robust protection against theft, but they also offer flexibility in terms of location. They can be tucked away in closets or hidden within cabinets, obscuring them from the prying eyes of potential thieves.
In essence, while the sock drawer might appear as an appealing option due to its convenience and familiarity, it’s crucial to remember that safeguarding your valuable possessions requires more than just concealment—it requires unpredictability and robust security measures.
Enhancing Home Security: Beyond Traditional Hiding Spots
While the aforementioned hiding spots such as sock drawers or under the mattress may offer a degree of convenience, it’s vital to note they fall short in providing foolproof security. Experienced burglars are all too familiar with these common methods, transforming these ‘secure’ spots into easy targets for theft.
Innovative Solutions for Home Security
To enhance home security and protect your valuable possessions, consider investing in advanced solutions like:
- Diversion Safes: These safes are disguised as everyday household items, making them less noticeable to intruders.
- Wall Safes: Installed within your walls, these safes provide robust protection while maintaining discretion.
- Hidden Compartments: Custom-built into furniture or fixtures, hidden compartments offer an unexpected place to secure your belongings.
These alternatives not only increase the level of protection but also ensure your valuables remain easily accessible to you.
“The best alternative is one that provides necessary protection without compromising accessibility.”
Seek Professional Advice
For additional peace of mind and enhanced security measures, consider consulting a professional locksmith or exploring advanced home security options. Experts in the field can provide tailored advice based on your specific needs and circumstances. They might suggest implementing sophisticated tools such as:
- Smart Locks: These high-tech devices offer keyless entry and can be controlled remotely via smartphone apps.
- Surveillance Cameras: Integrated with motion detection and remote viewing capabilities, these devices act as an extra set of eyes on your property.
- Alarm Systems: These systems alert you when there’s an unauthorized entry attempt, providing immediate notification of potential threats.
Taking the step towards prioritizing the security of your valuables not only safeguards them from potential theft but also contributes to fostering greater peace and confidence regarding your home’s safety.
FAQs(Frequently Asked Questions)
Storing valuables under the mattress is a classic choice, but it’s also one of the first places burglars look. It’s easily accessible and offers little security.
While the freezer may seem like an inconspicuous spot, it’s not a secure location for your valuables. Burglars are known to check freezers, as it’s a common hiding place.
Using fake plants or decorative items as potential hiding spots may seem clever, but burglars are aware of this tactic. It’s not a secure option for safeguarding your belongings.
Instead of relying solely on decor for concealing your precious items, consider using diversion safes. These are specially designed containers that blend in seamlessly with their surroundings, providing better security.
Bedroom drawers are another classic choice for hiding valuables, but burglars often target them due to their predictable nature. They provide minimal protection for your belongings.
Jewellery boxes, despite their purpose-built design, are not ideal for storing other valuable items. They are commonly targeted by thieves and do not offer sufficient security.
Many people believe that medicine cabinets are safe spots for concealing valuables, but they are one of the first places burglars check. It’s a risky choice that offers little protection.