A foam mattress essentially acts like a sponge, absorbing smells. So, no matter how good it is, it will smell bad if you or anyone else smokes in your room.
When you sleep on a mattress that smells like cigarettes, you will never be comfortable. How to get cigarette smell out of memory foam mattress?
Look no further than this article! It will show you the most effective ways to get rid of this unpleasant smell to assist you in sleeping well. Let’s get started.
How to Get Cigarette Smell Out of Memory Foam Mattress?
Wait any longer! Below are the most straightforward but effective methods to eliminate the unpleasant smell of cigarettes from your bed.
Method 1: Use Baking Soda
The fabric of your bedding pad and foam mattress tends to trap smells. The smell of cigarette smoke may quickly infiltrate these fabrics, leaving an extremely strong odor.
You can’t wash memory mattresses because the foam composition may disintegrate. In this case, using baking soda will help! Baking soda is an effective deodorizer widely used to eliminate many scents from furniture, cabinets, and fridges.
If the cigarette odor isn’t too strong, you can use baking soda to deodorize your bed surface. If you are unsure how to apply this deodorizer, consider the following guides:
- Sprinkle all over your mattress with baking soda.
- Rub baking soda into every nook and corner of your mattress.
- Allow the powder to sit for at least an hour.
- Leave the baking soda on the bed for as long as you can if you have much time.
- Before distributing baking soda over your mattress, add some essential oil drops to that powder.
- If the smell is too strong, it’s best to leave the power on longer.
- Vacuum the leftover powder using your upholstery attachment when the timer goes off.
- If the odor remains, repeat the procedure.
Method 2: Use a Vinegar Solution
If the first method doesn’t work well with your mattress, you can try using a vinegar solution. Take a closer look at the following steps:
- Prepare necessary tools and materials, including vinegar, water, a spray bottle, some rind of the lemon, and a fan.
- Mix vinegar with water in a 1:1 ratio.
- Pour this solution into a spray bottle.
- Add a pinch of lemon rind.
- Take the memory foam outside and spray it entirely with this vinegar solution.
- Waft the vinegar scent out of your home using a fan.
- Allow the mattress to air dry thoroughly.
- Once dried, the vinegar odor will fade, and it will also deodorize the mattress.
Method 3: Use V0dka
Because v0dka is mainly alcohol, it may be helpful to disinfect and deodorize clothes. This approach is ideal for your mattresses since you don’t need to scrub or use pressure. Like how you use vinegar, you also need to spray v0dka over your mattress. Here is what you should do:
- Prepare required tools and materials: v0dka, a spray bottle, and a fan.
- Pour v0dka into a spray bottle.
- Spray this liquid all over your mattress.
- To speed up the drying process, place the bed outside until completely dry.
- Turn on a fan to get the alcohol out of your house.
- Although the v0dka carries an alcoholic odor when wet, it will vanish after the mattress dries.
Method 4: Use Coffee Grounds
If none of the above solutions doesn’t work well, you can try the final method using the coffee ground. This way is highly economical because you can use leftover coffee grounds after enjoying your favorite drink.
All you need to do is pour one or two plates with coffee grounds and then place them in the bedroom. You can also combine coffee grounds with vinegar, alcohol, or baking soda.
Not only will coffee grounds help you remove the smell from the bed, but also vinegar or alcohol smell.
Why Do You Need to Get Cigarette Smell Out of a Memory Foam Mattress?
The most important reason to get rid of the smell of cigarettes from your memory foam mattress is that cigarette smoke is extremely dangerous.
It carries 474 carcinogens, with 100 carcinogens taken into your body by inhaling smoke. After that, you exhale it while resting on the same mattress where you have inhaled it.
Smoking produces carbon monoxide. This gas is highly poisonous and damaging to your body, particularly the lungs. It is bad because it may induce emphysema and bronchitis, but it can also cause other respiratory disorders.
Another issue with carbon monoxide is that it causes headaches, weariness, and shortness of breath. That’s because your body attempts to expel the toxin via other organs.
Cigarette smoke includes several toxins that might make you sick when inhaled. Headaches, respiratory infections, nausea, or even depression are possible side effects. You should eliminate the smell of cigarettes from your bed as soon as possible!
What is the Quickest Way to Remove Cigarette Smell?
These home cures may not be effective in the long term, and your mattress might not be recoverable. So, stopping smoking is the quickest approach to eliminating cigarette odor.
If you have been smoking for a long time, you might not detect the cigarette odor. You may not realize how terrible its odor is! You’ve become accustomed to it, but non-smokers will notice the difference.
When people with respiratory issues come into a room packed with the scent of cigarettes, it seems like they’ve walked into hell. You should also invest in an air purifier to enhance the room’s circumstances and reduce the negative health consequences. If you want to buy an air purifier, you can refer to this video for detailed reviews:
Will The Smell Of Cigarette Smoke Disappear?
If you wonder whether the unpleasant cigarette odor will disappear, it’s hard to answer this question directly. Some people have even claimed that cigarette odor circulated via the vents throughout the home.
Treat or eliminate the causes of the odor as soon as possible to make smell elimination quicker and let the smell fade rapidly to give temporary relief.
It would be best if you also wiped off any furniture in your room, even the blanket, ceiling, cabinets, floor, or carpets.
After reading this post, have you known how to get the cigarette smell out of a memory foam mattress? We hope your answer will be yes!
In general, you can apply several solutions like baking soda, vinegar solution, v0dka, or coffee grounds. If you know other methods, feel free to comment below. Thanks for reading!