At this time and age, our lives are so dependent on a factor called electricity. While electricity has brought us so much convenience it has the disadvantage of turning into a life-threatening danger if not dealt with with great care and carefulness.
If you’re moving into a new home and are looking for a new energy plan, you need one that suits your budget and lifestyle without having to worry about surprises on your bill. By entering your zip code you can compare the Ambit energy rates to lower your electricity rates.
There are several possible electrical hazards that are faced quite often and the danger can only be prevented or reduced if we are well aware of the dangers of electricity.
Some of the most dangerous and life-threatening electrical hazards that could occur in any home will be discussed to give you a heads up on what you might be facing, the sources, and the solutions.
Serious Consequences Due to Wiring Issues
Starting from the most commonly faced problem reported wiring issues.
Wiring issues put lives at risk, in order to save money, homeowners sometimes do the wiring job themselves not realising that they are putting their own and their family’s lives at risk and the fact that the money you save from there could cost you your and your loved one’s lives give you a clear picture of what you want to save, a few dollars or the lives.
Wiring might seem like an easy job but someone who is not experienced in this field might not be able to see the complexity of the situation, loose wiring or any mistake during the process could put you in danger so it is always advised that you should get an experienced electrician to get the wiring done, a skillfully done job will bring long-lasting peace and safety.
Other than that, wiring issues could occur due to damaged wires or cords, that’s why a regular checkup is necessary so the damaged wires could be repaired or replaced before it causes a bigger problem.
Also every once in a while get proper maintenance done by a professional, electrician Sutherland can help you there.
Some of the things you could look out for to prevent hazards include:
- Any damaged electrical appliances.
- Any damaged wire insulation because of old age, heat, corrosion, or bending.
- Overheated wires or cords.
- Electrical wires chewed by rodents.
- Loose appliance or extension cords.
Electrical Accidents Due to Wet Hands
The most frequently reported electrical accidents after the wiring problems are the accidents that occur when the appliances are approached with wet hands. Not touching electrical appliances with wet hands is that one caution that everyone is aware of but is overlooked more than often.
Approaching electrical appliances with wet hands could result in serious electric shock that in worst cases could take your life.
We use the hairdryer with wet hands all the time that could actually prove to be risky. All types of appliances should be kept away from the sink, bathtubs, and all sorts of water sources.
Hazards Caused by Outlets Near Water
Similarly, electrical outlets anywhere close to water are dangerous. Water should be kept away from the water sources at all costs. Even with juice, coffee, or a glass of water in hand, outlets should not be approached. Any splashes of water could spark electric shock.
So accordingly, electrical outlets should be carefully installed, making sure it is nowhere close to any water source and water jugs should be kept away from the outlets.
Electrocution Caused by Water on Electrical Fire
In any case, if the electrical fires do occur DO NOT put water on it because the water will further make the situation more dangerous and cause electrocution.
If you fear electrical fires keep a fire extinguisher with you and use that but if you are unable to get a fire extinguisher put out the main switch, evacuate the house, and get help from the fire brigade.
Electrical Accidents Due to Extension Cords
Extension cords should be placed properly so tripping accidents don’t occur. Also, extension cords should not be used as a permanent way of getting additional power because the amount of power still remains the same even with more outlets, and using it for long could cause electrical accidents.
Also overloading an extension cord could have consequences make sure you do not put too many appliances on one extension cord and do not use it permanently, rather call a professional and get more outlets installed.
Even if you need it urgently services such as 24-hour electricians are available all over Sydney especially Mr. Switch’s electrician Sydney inner west is always on duty. You can contact them and get new ones installed immediately instead of using extension cords.